Monday, September 20, 2010

Yesterday's Fire

I was outside yesterday afternoon and couldn't miss seeing BIG plumes of smoke coming over the mountain. A few hours later the flames were on our side. The fire department and national guard evacuated 1600 homes. We were 16 blocks north of the mandatory evacuation area. We put the kids to bed and weren't concerned.

A few hours later, strong winds blew the smoke to our neighborhood. We discovered our windows aren't sealed properly. Smoke was coming into the kids' bedrooms. We packed a change of clothes, some breakfast food, and spent the night at Mom's. Thanks for your hospitality, Mom!

I was't worried about the fire hitting our place, but since we've got a touchy smoke alarm I was worried about it going off. And in turn, setting off the sprinkler system. Last night was a loooooooooooong night!

Here are a few pictures I 'stole' from my brother.



Mark and I came home this morning. One side of the mountain is charred, but the fire was stopped before it hit many homes. Three homes are lost. It looks like the fire is almost out, but we haven't heard anything official on the news. A few hot spots are left smoldering. The winds have changed direction and sent all of the smoke south. Safe to come home! Great job fire department!
The school district cancelled local schools for the day. We came home and the kids are a bit grouchy from being up late. It's hard to motivate them to get their school work done when the neighbors are having fun outside!
Lesson learned: Come up with a better plan for our 72-hour emergency kits. Besides food and water, they really do need to include clothing, toiletries, shoes, important documents and cash.
On the brighter side: I have a working oven and have reorganized all of the closets and dressers! Yeah!

2 comments:

Emily & Co. said...

Those pics are scary! When we had fires close, school wasn't canceled, but it was "indoor recess" for a week or so because of the air quality (teachers had to love that!). Glad to hear everyone is safe and sound!

Receli said...

It is scary how unexpectedly things happen. We need to update our 72 hour kit now that we are a family of 3.