Wednesday, February 11, 2009

10 Great Things

that begin with the letter... My friend, Melissa, wrote a blog post with 10 of her favorite things starting with the letter 'D'. And then Maury wrote about the letter 'K'. Sounded like fun so I was randomly assigned the letter 's'.

1. Let's start with the easiest one... three of my favorite people have 's' nicknames:

Sassafras (Brooklynn), Son Son (Jeffrey), and Sugar (Malia). That one was a piece of cake.

2. Sunsets If you're thinking of a romantic sunset over looking the beach you're wrong. This one is Jeffrey's suggestion. He has special memories of sunsets back in California. We would drive to the edge of town and enjoy them along the open roads next to cow pastures. Here's the idea: 3. Sand Another allusion to beaches and romance, but this one is also Jeffrey's. For example:hours of outdoor sand, water and muddy boy pleasure- squished between toes, smeared behind ears, and all over the clothes (sorry I couldn't find Jeffrey's snapshot).

4. Spirituality has really helped me through the ups and downs of this past year. The scriptures, church attendance, and faith in God have kept me going-knowing that He is always involved in my life and that when I have challenges they work out for my good and strengthen me.

5. Salt Lake City home of many family and friends. We have so many wonderful and fun memories along the Wasatch Front. Someday would like to live there again.

6. Sugary Sustenance- including items with high fructose corn syrup, honey, evaporated cane juice, and splenda. A few of our favorites are Guittard 60% Cocoa chocolate chips (hence our blog title), Moose Tracks ice cream, and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. (We're trying to cut back.)

7. Settlers of Catan has to be one of our favorite family games. Jeffrey and I always accuse Mark and Brooklynn of cheating (they play on a team) because lately they seem to win every time. Jeffrey loves coming up with new strategies and trading commodities. We also enjoy Phase 10, Chess, and Mancala. Since Mark's work schedule has been reduced to about 1 hour or so everyday, we've got quite bit more time to play. Everyday is a party!


8. We LOVE story books around here. The last week we've been reading:

a story of a white man from the north working on plantations in the south and teaching the slaves a song 'Follow the Drinking Gourd.' (Which was code for the big dipper, North Star.) Each verse has different landmarks they will come to and tells them what to do. Finally they will reach the Ohio River where they will be ferried across and then taken on the underground railroad to Canada. Great Book!!

a book about a boy waiting for his father to come home from the Civil War after his father was wounded. Another touching story.

9. Silence- it's just golden... a few minutes of it here and there keep me sane.

10. Sense of Smell- this one has been my blessing and my curse.

Curse: dirty diapers, garbage cans and a refigerator needing to be cleaned out.

Blessing: Baby lotion on Malia, candles, dinner, flowers, etc.

Example of unfair exploitation: "Hey Mark, can we talk about aaaaaaaaa and bbbbb?"

"Sure. Give me a second."

"Alright. I'll wait right here."

Off Mark goes to the bathroom and sprays himself with my favorite cologne. He comes back to talk and even though he knows I am right... he wins the debate.

If you'd like a random letter, let me know in the comments section.

6 comments:

Maursupial said...

I love your list, and I love that you can still be swayed by a good smelling man! :)

Life with the Langfords said...

That is fantastic! I love it. So do you assign us (Mark and I) a letter? Or do we pick one ourselves?

Let me know.

Malissa said...

I'll assign you one. How about the letter 'L' Have fun!!

Melody said...

You know I'm always up for a goof game. Assign me one!

Melissa said...

Great list, Malissa! Loved reading it!

Malissa said...

Melody your letter is 'J'. Have fun!