Monday, January 26, 2009

Making Lemonade




The last couple of days I've been thinking about Mark's lay off last summer. Initially I felt anxiety- not knowing where we would be living and where Mark would work. It felt more like a trial than an opportunity, like I'd been given a basket of lemons.

Now I look back at how everything turned out better than I could have hoped. I had a great time on our cross country trip and went places we wouldn't have gone otherwise. I just LOVE where we live now and the people we have met. Our ward at church has been very friendly and warm and we have thoroughly enjoyed our co-op, local activities, parks, the scenery, etc.


Now we find ourselves with another 60 notice- another opportunity for change. I would love to be able to stay here. It certainly would be easier to stay put instead of starting over again. However, if we do move, I wonder what opportunities the change will bring.


While applying for jobs last week, I already started to think about the possibilities. How fun would it be to work and live in the same town as Rachel and Derrik!!! Or work for a company that has training in NYC!?! I could take the kiddos out everyday to eat 'pie' (cheese pizza), see the Statue of Liberty, run around Central Park, etc while Mark is at work. The possibilities are endless.


I think I might like this glass of lemonade!

4 comments:

oneHeidifamily said...

It would be so great, Malissa, if you moved out west again! I doubt that this will happen, but I would love it if it did. But wherever you end up, can I come and visit eventually?

Melody said...

Your post reminds me of the song, "I'll go where you want me to go Dear Lord" Your attitude is remarkable! Love you!

Maursupial said...

Malissa,
you continue to be an inspiration to me of optimism. You and your family are in my prayers, but I know that you will be blessed.

Malissa said...

Sure Heidi. We'll let you know where when we know!

It's easier to be optimistic this time, seeing how the Lord blessed us over the summer. Even simple things like the location of our apartment (in the back with no traffic and no steps, our upstairs neighbor is a very quiet elderly woman) has been a blessing.

I channel my moments of anxiety into cleaning projects (clean carpets, spotless bathrooms, etc) and am learning a lot about faith. "Be still and know that I am God" has become a new favorite scripture. Whenever a doubt comes into my head, I just remember all the small ways the Lord has blessed us over the last several months and know he will do the same again. And everyday just gets easier.

We're doing everything we can. Mark has a few interviews lined up for this week and we have some great friends here that are helping us network. We'll just wait and see how it all works out.

And a sincere, "Thank you," for your prayers:)